Monday, April 25, 2011

Vacation's over

April 25, 2011 – Vacation’s Over


I wasn’t going to write today but much has changed since Saturday. I’m definitely getting into a new phase. It wasn’t long after my blog entry that my mouth and throat became much more painful. It’s mostly in the back of my throat and side of my tongue near the back molars but it’s affected my ability to chew and eat to some extent.  It’s amazing how much you use your tongue while chewing. I finally gave in and took a pain pill last night and again this morning. I ate fine after that but the meds make you drowsy.  I also know these pain meds can alter your, um, digestion and change your body from a short term transfer station into a long term storage facility so appropriate meds need to be added to the mix to mitigate that issue. How much is the question. I guess I’ll learn.


When you go to a doctor for pain they ask about your level of pain from 1 – 10. Pain is certainly subjective so I Googled pain ratings for a guide. I assumed correctly that 0 is none, one to three is mild to noticeable but 4 through 6 were life changing and number 10 is what I’m calling “please kill me” pain. The one that got my attention was a definition of number nine: "pain so intense you cannot tolerate it and demand pain killers or surgery, no matter what the side effects or risk. If this doesn't work, suicide is frequent since there is no more joy in life whatsoever. Comparable to throat cancer."
Really!! Gee thanks.

2 comments:

  1. There are going to be ups and downs, so hang in there, buddy. Dan changed all our Skype settings, so I'll have to redo things and will try to call you next weekend . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did it really say comparable to throat cancer? After my biopsy, my pain hit slowly then bam! I have never felt pain like that before. I'm two days from my biopsy and still on liquids as they took quite a bit of my rear part of the tongue. Best wishes

    ReplyDelete