Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Return to Sender

April 26, 2011 – Return To Sender
Gee I was so proud of myself too. I got up early after a bit of a restless night and my throat was killing me. So I took the largest dose (one full pill) of my Hydrocodone/Acetaminophen blend washed down with Ensure and in 20 minutes I was experiencing about 80% less pain. So I ate my oatmeal and read the paper knowing I consumed about 500+ calories on the way for maybe 2000 for the day.  Lookin’ good!! 

Well, about an hour after I took the meds, I started experiencing that tell-tale sweating you normally associate with nausea. (motion sickness really does that to you). Uh oh…go lie down dude and take an anti-nausea pill. Did both. It didn’t help. I was forced to experience reverse peristalsis for the first time in many, many years. Not only that but I now had no ride to RadDoc since my wife left 20 minutes earlier so off I went. Took a small trash can with me and was forced into two more experiences before I arrived. Based on that I’m kind of glad I was alone. The nurses at RadDoc took care of me and I completed day 11 of radiation. Joanne showed up to rescue me and took me to ChemoDoc after my visit with the doctor.

RadDoc (Dr. Neal) checked out my mouth and said: “a bit of thrush.” Great.  Oral Candida – a freakin’ yeast infection. It seems that the mouth has similar attributes usually associated with the more common site for yeast infections (which does explain some other things) and once the PH of the mouth is messed up, you are vulnerable. Now I’m on yet another drug to try to get rid of it. What a ride.

Off to ChemDoc  (I was now late but it didn’t matter) and they loaded my up with more anti-nausea drugs and that wonderful steroid I’m growing fond of. Today I slept through most of the 3-hour treatment.  I’d like to sleep until about August – wake me up when you’re done fixing me!! I wish it worked that way.
Late afternoon – Feeling better (steroids!!)

2 comments:

  1. Ben, it's good to see your sense of humor is intact despite the rough day. Keep up the good fight! Don M.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Easier living through modern medecine!? Keep up!

    ReplyDelete