Saturday, April 23, 2011

Two Week Summary

April 23, 2011 – Two Week Summary

Well I’ve completed 2 weeks of treatment (nine Rads and two Chemos). I played 18 holes of golf yesterday and today and then last night played the first set with my band – just guitar, no vocals. I could have played the entire gig, with vocals but I just didn’t know I would feel that strong. What I think I’m saying is that I could have lived pretty normally for the past two weeks if I had chosen to.  My energy level has been good and I’ve been feeling ok overall. Instead I set everything aside to concentrate on my treatment. I’m not saying that was the wrong thing to do but I’d advise anyone who is going into treatment with this to schedule cancer treatments around your life instead of scheduling your life around cancer treatments. At minimum, build in some flexibility about it while your general health is pretty good.  Of course all this will likely change in the near future.

So what’s going on with me? My wife has been stuffing me with food for the past two weeks (do I even like Ensure in a milk shake?) and I have gained a few pounds. The inside of my mouth feels like it’s in a war zone with a lot of tenderness in my cheeks, gums and tongue. My mouth is very dry (just about constant hydration needed) and my taste buds have apparently left for a better deal; food doesn’t taste very good at all. My throat has been slightly sore a few times but nothing terrible yet. I’m doing swallowing exercises and so far I’m ok there. I’m starting to get more fatigued (2 hour nap yesterday – one coming up today when I’m done with this). Also with all the water I’ve been drinking I’ve been getting up for the bathroom a couple times per night. I’m trying to adjust my intake so I keep my mouth wet but don’t swallow much of it. I wake up with severe dry mouth so I keep water by my bedside. I have been sleeping ok and I hope that continues. Week three begins Monday and the adventure continues.

1 comment:

  1. Good for you Ben! Soldier on friend...Sue

    ReplyDelete