Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Diagnosis and Battle Plan

April 5, 2011 – Final Diagnosis Day

Today we met with RadDoc and discussed everything that was going to happen. My PET scan turned out good in that I “only” have cancer on my tongue and a left lymph node. The size of the lymph node moved me from stage 3 to Stage 4-A. That sounds ominous for most cancers but not for head and neck cancer. I heard about all the rare side effects including paralysis (good God!!), thyroid issues after a few years, hearing problems, jaw problems and the “normal” fun things (dry mouth, mucus issues, pain, nausea, swallowing problems etc.). It still looks promising for me.

I start on Monday, April 11th with my first radiation treatment (after a practice session) and chemo will start someday soon after that. I’m going to be part of a clinical study that means I’ll get less radiation on the non-cancer side (right side). That should help me not lose as much function (taste, salivary glands, swallowing). I’m actually the first member of this study and I otherwise get all the same treatment for the rest of me.

My challenges:
1.      1. Stay fed and hydrated (no feeding tube as of now; I need to make myself swallow through the pain) and try not to lose more than 10% of my weight (14 pounds).
2.      2. Take enough pain meds to allow the above
3.      3. Make sure the anti-nausea drugs are working.
4.      4. Take care of my teeth and mouth on a daily basis.
5.      5. Handle the massive mucus problem I’m going to encounter.
6.    6. Take necessary stuff to assure continued regularity (embarrassing topic but part of taking lots of pain meds).
7.      7. Stay positive throughout (get through each day; look toward a cancer free future).
If I can handle the above I’ll get through it.

Emotions – For some reason I feel completely normal. I’m now used to having cancer (not sure how that happened) but I think the main thing for me is having complete information as to what to expect. I always feel better when I’m well informed. I think the learning process helps me cope. I have my sense of humor intact (tonight I won money at golf and called it “chemo money”). Joanne is also feeling better so we’re ready for the long road ahead. I WILL prevail!!!

2 comments: