Tuesday, April 19, 2011

April 19, 2011 - 20% Done!!

April 19, 2011 – 20% Done!!

I’m kind of a numbers guy and it dawned on me today that I’ve now completed 20% of my radiation treatments (7 of 35). Since it barely seems like I got started yet (still feeling relatively ok) it feels good to be that far along.  My second round of chemo was right after RadDoc and I guess I’m something like 28.57% done with chemo now too. (yeah, I did that in my head). I now have a slight sore throat but it’s not bad enough to take any meds for it. It’s still just a minor annoyance. Appetite is still ok, I can taste food but it’s a little different. I have more dry mouth. I’m drinking water all the time. I need to just “swish” at night because I keep waking up during the night to pee.

Chemo Factory – I had chemo in a different location today and there were perhaps 20 chairs in this room with many of them filled. Some people looked pretty chipper like me and some….well some poor guy tossed his cookies after I was about halfway through my treatment. I guess the anti-nausea drugs didn’t work on him. He was there when I arrived and still there when I left. He looked miserable. I looked around wondering what was wrong with everyone. Was their prognosis as good as mine? Were they grasping at straws trying to save themselves against the odds?  What were they thinking about? Chemo kind of drained me yet I’m scheduled for nine holes of golf this evening. I keep plugging away. I think I’ll take a nap.
Cancer is like a private club. Many people are in it but you have to know someone to join. In this case it’s an oncology doctor. With friends like these………..

4 comments:

  1. Ben...Reading every post and continue to be inspired and moved by your amazing inner strength, captivating attitude, unflappable humor and positive outlook. Thoughts and prayers continue for both you and Joanne. Leanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thinking about you today and glad to see your post/blog. I sorry you are having to go thru this. You sound like you are dong well. I will continue to pray for you and Joanne.
    Catherine Hasson

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad to read that you're doing Ok despite everything that you have to go through.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keep going. Stay positive. Keep the sense of humor.
    That said, if you know who I am, can I truly remain anonymous?
    (Posted anonymously by Mark B.)

    ReplyDelete