Wednesday, April 20, 2011

"Celebrate the Routine"

April 20, 2011 – “Celebrate the Routine”

I don’t know if I actually coined that phrase – I doubt it - but I used to say it during my working years when I found holidays and other time off disruptive. I had trouble getting back to my routine and often was happy when the triad of Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years was over so I could get back into my routine.  On the other hand I always liked vacations because the first few days away always felt longer than they actually were. As the vacation week went on, time speeded up again because…yep, it became routine. Routines make time go faster.

So that being said, I’m settling in on a routine for this cancer business. Each day I arise at 6:30, shower and prepare for my 8 AM radiation treatment. I’m usually home by nine and I do my mouth/jaw/swallowing exercises, eat breakfast, drink Ensure, and take, um, elimination aids. Each day my focus is or will be on 5 things: pain control, nausea control and prevention of the delicate subject of waste management. The other two are food (weight maintenance) and hydration. Since I’m only in my second week of treatment I’ve had minimal problems in the first 3 areas (chemo related) and none in the last two. I’m supposed to keep a log for all this and I started the first week. But I’ve dropped it for now since not much is going on worth reporting.  I’m hoping that this “routine” routine will help the time pass faster over the next couple months. My history says it should.

1 comment:

  1. Hi. My name is Debbie. I was sent your blog from my sister Evelyn who is friends with your sister-in-law in Albany. I am a tongue cancer survivor myself. I got tongue cancer in 2007 at the age of 46. Anyway, I had surgery and the very difficult radiation and chemo. I wanted to let you know that you will get through it, even though it will seem impossible at times. Once I was able to, I went to a support group specifically for people with head and neck cancer (SPOHNC, which stands for Support for People with Oral, Head and Neck Cancer). It was helpful because the people there understand the unique challenges associated with this disease. There are chapters nationwide. I had a feeding tube put in (it was in for 6 months) and it really helped me. It is not something to fear if you end up needing one. I hope you find this helpful. Wishing you strength and all the best.

    ReplyDelete