Thursday, June 16, 2011

June 16, 2011 - The Best Day in Months

June 16, 2011 – The Best Day in Months

What a difference a couple days make. Today my new regimen of Oxycodone and anti-nausea meds seem to have stabilized me to a point where I was pretty functional. Maybe I found the right combination of drugs.
This morning I worked in the yard with my weed whacker (string trimmer) edging all my flower beds. For the day I also took in a solid 4+ cans of sludge plus Gator Ade and good old Coca Cola. I didn’t lose weight today.

I visited RadDoc this afternoon and much to my surprise he reported I’ve lost only 1.5 pounds in the past two weeks . Then I returned home continued my drug habit and then went out and raked up some pine needles. I came inside and drank (yes, drank) half a can of Boost before finishing it in the tube. That was a first in months.

Tonight I went to my monthly poker event, made a cameo appearance (45 minutes), and that was my first social encounter in two months. I even won $9. Then I came home and played half hour of guitar. My fingers were sore and my singing was weak but at least I had the motivation to do it. Damn good day.

Emotions:  I feel relatively good and hopeful again. I said this would be an honest blog so I don’t apologize for my previous two postings. I was miserable and very well may have other lousy days coming up and readers will likely hear about those too. I heard from a couple oral cancer survivors who recognized my frustration and assured me “this too shall pass.” I suppose I’ll still have my demoralizing days. I guess it goes with the territory where I am concerned. The reality of knowing I have many months of recovery to go will sink in quite frequently I imagine. But I continue to march forward.

3 comments:

  1. Good news! Keep whacking them weeds.
    -Don M.

    ReplyDelete
  2. way to go, Ben. Hope the "good" days are more and more frequent! -Meg

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! You are amazing. In a day when you just start feeling better you are in the yard doing some (hard) yard work. More good days like this one are coming! Just take it easy, champ!

    ReplyDelete