Monday, May 30, 2011

May 30, 2011 - Coca Cola to the Rescue

May 30, 2011 – Coca Cola to the Rescue??

I usually don’t post two days in a row because there usually isn’t enough change to warrant it – until today.  I’ve consumed a lot of soda in my life (maybe that’s why I have cancer; who knows) but today I had the best 20 ounce bottle of Coke of my entire life! That’s saying something. Let me explain.

As noted in yesterday’s posting I’ve been absolutely miserable the past several days with more nausea, two visits to the vomitorium, and an inability to get enough calories into me to keep my weight stable. This morning after another rough night and miserable start to the day, I asked my wife to go buy me a regular Coca Cola. I remembered something in my past about how coke syrup is supposed to be good for nausea. I started pouring it down my feeding tube not knowing what to expect. Well….my energy level shot up and my nausea subsided within 20 minutes. Not completely of course but much better than I felt before. I guess the caffeine and sugar made a difference. I was then able to “eat” more IsoSludge. Later today I took more anti-nausea meds and more pain meds and became fatigued so off to bed I went. I woke up feeling lethargic again with a slight increase in nausea. More Coke.  And, again, it did wonders. I’ll be telling my ChemoDoc about this on Tuesday when I go in for my lab tests.

I wish I would have thought of this earlier. Of course this might be a one day fluke with a return to hell again soon but at least I had some relief. I need all the good times I can get.

2 comments:

  1. Hello Ben
    Well this is a heck of a way to reconnect after all these years! Howard told me about you and sent me the blog so I could follow your progress. So glad you are done with treatment and now on the road (I know it's still a long one) to full recovery! You just never know what's coming around the next corner, do you? I worked for Aspen Dental for a year and learned a good bit about oral cancer...it can be very tough indeed. My prayers are with you. My husband Frank remembered you well and sends his best also. Funny the time goes by so quickly (except when you are in cancer treatment understandably)and I have so many fond memories of you from the old Cole days. I am a bit jealous about your "retired" status as I am still a working stiff - now for Miracle Ear as the Northeast Regional Manager - and will be for quite some time. I left Luxottica at the end of 2009 (28 years), worked a year for Aspen Dental then got a great offer to move to Miracle Ear. Eyes to teeth to ears.... That's all for now. Be well and know that there are lots of us out there pulling for you.... Marianne Aulicino (marianne1223@comcast.net)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Coca Cola. I wish they would make Coca Cola seltzer--no added sugar or artificial sweeteners. I would guzzle the stuff by the gallon.

    ReplyDelete