Monday, August 8, 2011

August 8, 2011 – I’m Supposedly Healing – You Could Fool Me!


I visited with my ENT doctor today. I wrote down all my questions and concerns and I knew I was upset when I had a hard time reading them off through a trembling voice. He listened carefully and checked my throat  and told me again that I’m healing. But, again, he can’t give me a timetable regarding when I’ll start feeling better so I’m pretty much where I was before the visit. Still, I’m glad I spoke with him.

Yesterday (Sunday) I decided to try and make it an entire day without using my feeding tube. I had chicken soup, eggs, Instant Breakfast, Beef Stew (mashed up), milk shakes and whatever else I may have forgotten. I ate everything. I increased my pain meds and used my viscous lydocaine some of the time to help me eat. Finally by evening I gave up and took in some Boost by tube. Today I mixed it up a bit more. It’s good to get a variety of regular foods into my body and I do feel better with regular food. I don’t know how anyone can live on just IsoSource and Boost or Ensure. It’s just not natural. My wife has created a variety of stuff for me to eat and I’ll continue to endure the pain and eat normally. But it hurts.

So going forward I expect my days to be much the same as the past two since I have no way of knowing when my throat will start to ease up and heal. I spend each day thinking about what kind of food I’ll eat and how and when I’ll eat it.  Trying to minimize the tube does give me more options even though I can get a milk shake (diluted) and chicken soup down my tube.

I did some yard work today and also went out of a few more errands. Water bottle in hand and I time things to make sure I’m home for pain med time as well as eating. It’s not a great life but that’s my life for the foreseeable future I suppose. I really, really look forward to bed time so I can be unconscious for about 8 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment