Sunday, August 21, 2011

August 21, 2011 – I’m Food Obsessed – How’d That Happen?


My wife reminded me that I was never a foodie. She’d ask me what I ate for lunch or something and I’d have a hard time remembering. I just didn’t care. Now, I spend most of my day trying to figure out how I’m going to get enough calories into my body to keep my weight up. I’m hanging in there.

There’s really not much new to write about. Pain is the same when I swallow. I’ve been good at only eating by mouth for the past several days with my goal of getting rid of the feeding tube. I’m not sure if I’ll succeed. I’m also – again – going to try to wean myself off the narcotics. I’m not sure I can pull that off either.

Other than that I’m trying to stay active; I played 9 holes of golf today and I’m playing Tuesday night. It all wears me out though. After golf I needed to take a nap for a couple hours. My loss of weight and the cancer treatment leaves me with little energy.

Tuesday I have my CT scan. Finding out I don’t have cancer anymore will be a ho-hum bit of information since I’m suffering far more from the “recovery” than cancer now. I’ll see RadDoc on Thursday who will tell me (again) I’m healing (right) and after that I’ll continue to try to adjust to my “new normal.” I want to spend the rest of my time without a feeding tube and without narcotics. Then, whatever happens to me happens but I’ll be in some version of a normal state when it does.

Until next time – live every day like there’s no tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. uno momento porfavor senor. You are trying to gain weight, can't eat much and then you burn off what you can eat with activities??? It seems counter productive. My recommendation, with many years of eating, exercising and being lazy, is to be lazy and inactive. Now, go eat and sit down 'till I tell you to get up!!!
    Your friend,
    Potbelly Branko

    ReplyDelete
  2. Branco is right! How can you gain some weight if you have burned the calories off, have worn yourself out? You don't give your body a chance to heal. TAKE IT EASY, CHAMP!

    ReplyDelete