Wednesday, August 17, 2011

August 17, 2011 – Well, That Didn’t Work Either


My throat was sore enough early this week that I asked for an appointment to talk about the possibility of my having thrush again. I had taken meds for it before with some good success. My doc was out this week so I saw a different one. He stated that for me to still have pain 12 weeks after treatment is over almost has to be thrush so I received another script for Diflucan. I took 2 on Monday as prescribed and by Tuesday my throat was somewhat better but not as much as I thought happened last time. So maybe it’s not thrush. Unfortunately I also regained my nausea and indigestion that I now believe I also had during the last treatment. Tuesday night was hell as I sat in a chair for nearly 3 hours hoping I wouldn’t throw up my beef stew that I had for dinner. With my stomach the way it was I think I ate too much. So now I have somewhat less throat pain but less ability to put as much food into my stomach. It’s always something; I can’t seem to win. I’m just not going to heal I guess.

I’ll finish the thrush script and return to my life as a sore throated cancer survivor who has to learn to live with this. Next Tuesday I’ll have my CT scan to prove the cancer is gone and then see my regular RadDoc on Thursday. After that I’m going to try to feed myself exclusively by mouth despite the pain so I can get rid of this feeding tube. As I said, I’m going to have to learn to live with my new normal. I have to be able to maintain my weight for a period of time (I think a month) before they’ll remove the tube.

If I succeed (not a certainty), it will free me up somewhat but I’ll need more variety of squishy food to keep me interested. I’ll need food I can take with me to the golf course or other places so I can eat if I’m gone for any length of time. This won’t be the ideal life and it’s not what I envisioned but for now I need to adjust to the facts as they are right now. I’ll be able to play golf again and not be so structured by my current food needs.  Wish me luck. I could certainly use a break.

3 comments:

  1. How about numbing the throat with a local anesthetic like Cepacol spray? You can ask doc for a prescription strenth (maybe something like Spec-T Sore Throat Anesthetic?). Try to eat baby foods, yogurts, something that would be easy for you to swallow and digest.
    I'm sorry but I don't think of anything else besides IsoSure, Ensure that you can take with you on the golf course. Take it easy! Take care of yourself and good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wishing you luck! Marcia

    ReplyDelete
  3. FYI: New chemotherapy treatment
    http://www.wect.com/story/15288583/new-chemotherapy-treatment-targets-cancer-directly

    ReplyDelete