Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Oncology Day

March 29, 2011 – visit with the Radiation Oncologist – I spent 2 hours with Dr. Neal today and he went over EVERYTHING. I have a dentist appointment tomorrow, a visit with a medical oncologist (chemo) on Thursday, and then they have to create a mask for me (to keep my head still during radiation). I need a PET scan to see if the cancer  has spread beyond my tongue and one lymph node. Most, or all of that is over the next 3 days. Then they create the plan of attack and do a “dry run” to test their plan before they actually burn me with radiation. I may be able to eat during the treatment (with the help of pain pills) and if I can’t, a feeding tube will be necessary. The importance of keeping well fed and hydrated was emphasized. I’m told that I’m in for 6 months of misery overall (at various levels) but at first I’ll be relatively ok. The worst times are right after treatment ends so about 7 or 8 weeks out I’ll wish I was dead (maybe).
Emotions – I have my swagger back. I’m an arrogant asshole again. I need that attitude to go after this crap in an aggressive manner. I’m feeling pretty good for some reason and feel like my old self. That’s a good thing. I feel like I’m going to beat this misery and still have a decent life. If I’m wrong, so what? I’m glad I’m feeling good again. I played golf tonight feeling unbeatable. It was good to be back. I won too. I’m sure I’ll have worse days so I’m enjoying today as it is.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Ben-------so glad you are feeling more like yourself and ready to do battle. You have so many friends here and all over who are ready to do battle with you ---in any way they can. Keep the positive thoughts flowing. Robin

    ReplyDelete