Friday, November 11, 2011

November 11, 2011 – Things Continue To Go Pretty Well

The last two weeks have provided proof that I’m closer to normal than I have been since March. My band had its first gig last Saturday, I ate a Big Mac, had some pizza for lunch yesterday and have eaten a wider variety of foods as time has gone on. Taste is compromised but I can taste many things. I’m also back to playing golf on my regular schedule (about 3 times per week).

The band gig worked out better than I expected. I did sing all my regular songs plus a new one. I did………ok. I’m not thrilled but nobody threw tomatoes or had pained looks on their faces (bands can really see the reactions of the crowd very well) so I guess it was adequate. The establishment invited us back to play again.

The Big Mac treat was on a whim. I was coming back from somewhere recently around lunchtime and started to think of what I was going to have for lunch. McDonalds beckoned and I remembered that during my more lucid times during treatment I wanted a Big Mac. I don’t know why but I always did like them. So I bought one and brought it home since I wasn’t sure how well it was going to work out. I didn’t want anyone to see me eat it. I ate it slower than usual and it tasted dryer than usual (probably me) but it went well. I think that denotes progress of sorts.

Going forward I’m hoping I get a bit better in the swallowing, taste, and saliva departments but if I can’t get better, I hope I don’t get worse. Radiation damage being what it is, it could go both ways. I’ll settle for the status quo if that’s the best I can do.

And finally there’s golf. I play but extremely poorly compared to a few years ago. It’s not because of the cancer or treatment but because my legs are so weak. Golf as an activity is likely winding down since ineptitude in that sport deems it unenjoyable. We’ll see how it goes.

My postings in the future will be fewer and fewer unless something noteworthy comes up either positive or negative. This was quite a journey and one that I don’t look back on with any kind of appreciation. It totally sucked and I’m damaged because of it. My wife was wonderful throughout.  Unfortunately she has to suffer now because I snore at night due to my damaged throat. But I’m alive and life is pretty decent for the most part so if there is no recurrence, the treatment was the right decision.  Life goes on.

2 comments:

  1. To good life, cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some of us have husbands without damaged throats who snore. Some husbands have wives who snore. It all works out. And speaking of working out, you can get the strength back in your legs, you know...

    ReplyDelete