Friday, July 1, 2011

July 1, 2011 - Compromises and Tradeoffs

July 1, 2011 – Compromises; Tradeoffs

The throat pain just became too much to bear so I gave in and started to take more pain meds. More pain meds means less pain but also less energy, poorer digestion, and general malaise. Pain pills are not perfect and to take enough to get rid of all pain means you’re a zombie. Compromises and tradeoffs.
Besides that the week wasn’t too bad. I played golf a couple more times and Joanne and I might tomorrow again if I can stay awake. I also did some yard work but nothing too strenuous and heavy. With the weight loss I just have little strength to do much besides some edging and raking. At least I’m doing something. I thought of going to the gym but without enough calories how can I expect to rebuild muscle? So I do what I can do.

Debbie, my main medical contact, had me look at my throat today with a mirror and flashlight. It is NOT a pretty sight. I don’t know why I didn’t look before but my throat is swollen, red and white, and just raw looking; no wonder it hurts so much. I’m told it’s healing. Ok, if you say so.

I’ve been eating at least one can of sludge per day through my throat and that’s after 3 pain pills and some lidocaine to numb my throat a little bit. It’s not a pleasant experience. I’m told I need to do this to keep my swallowing reflex from atrophying. I guess so but I’m able to swallow water so I’ll have to take their word for it. My thoughts are that it would be better to just do minimal swallowing (water) until my throat (which is allegedly healing) heals enough to it wouldn’t hurt so much. I hope Doctors know best.

As I wrap this up it’s obvious that my “healing” throat is dominating my life right now and it’s coming along on schedule (which means very slowly). Today is the 5th full week after radiation treatment was completed. Feels like months. I was told it will be 3 to 6 months after treatment before I’m relatively ok. That’s a long time. I have a long way to go.

1 comment:

  1. I feel sorry for you. Yep, let's hope the doctors know best.
    Maybe there are something available (to gurgle) to expedite the healing?

    ReplyDelete