Wednesday, October 5, 2011

October 5, 2011 – “You’re Swallowing Better Than Most Oral Cancer Patients”


As noted in the headline, I had my swallowing test today and that’s what I was told. I don’t have any problem with aspiration and was also told I can eat whatever I’m comfortable with. I was pretty much doing that anyway so I’m glad I’m ok. Of course everything is relative and I still have limitations especially when it comes to spontaneity. Last night I was at a Focus Group event and they had small sandwiches and cookies. I looked at them and decided it wasn’t a good idea since it takes so long for me to chew, swallow, and clear my mouth of everything that collects around my teeth due to my shortage of saliva. Rinsing is almost always the minimum I have to do.  I have to “plan” to eat and clean up now which certainly will keep me from ever getting fat.

On Monday I saw my ENT doc and he said I should improve for up to about a year after treatment was complete. That was May. I also know from research that because radiation treatment is “forever” things could also get worse down the road.  But for the next 7 or 8 months taste and saliva as well as swallowing should improve. We’ll see how it goes. I can taste most foods now with the exception of sweet things. I also do have some saliva.

Back to eating. I have to add liquid of some sort (water or milk usually) to anything that is remotely dry. I usually start to chew something and then take a sip of liquid to help get it ready to swallow. However, water and milk are not saliva so even that doesn’t quite always produce the same result as you’d get from a normal amount of saliva being involved. But I end up being able to swallow it anyway. It just takes more time and more conscious effort. But progress is ongoing. I ate an English muffin one day – my first bread product -  and also ate a couple slices of leftover pizza that were in the freezer. Again, I had to sip along as I ate but I was able to eat them anyway. Breads are one of the toughest things to eat for those who are “saliva compromised.”

I’m playing more guitar again. My old band members are coming over next week for our first practice since probably February. I can’t sing well yet (and most of my friends are kind enough to remind me that I never could) but I’ll at least be able to add my rhythm guitar to the band’s sound.

Overall I feel much better. Fewer naps; less fatigue. My increasing muscle problem is worse and that will probably end my golf and music participation more so than any effects from cancer and the treatment. But this is a cancer blog and I’ve improved immensely in that regard.

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on your success with improving your swallowing! You should be very proud that your swallowing is better than most oral cancer patients. My father was an oral cancer patient and had a nurse that would come to our house to give him lessons on the correct way to swallow when you have oral cancer. The technique takes practice and a little getting used to, and my father just didn't have the patience for it. It looks like you use food as a motivation to improve your swallowing. You should share this inspiration and your stories on the American Cancer Fund site. I noticed that you asked on the OCF Survivor/ Patient Forum where you should post your blog, and the American Cancer Fund would be a great place to link your blog to. The American Cancer Fund offers a forum to share your cancer stories. This site offers the latest information on oral cancer and the rise of HPV and Oral cancer in Men, and all of the information is medically reviewed. It is a great place to educate and empower others to cope with cancer.Good luck and best wishes!

    ReplyDelete